August 31 2018, @AzacMonster brought up the problem that LCSH records with a primary subject heading of “Child sexual abuse by clergy” is being classed under BX1912.9. Here’s the hierarchy of that number:
Christian denominations—Catholic Church—Government and organization of the Catholic Church—Priests. Deacons. Spiritual directors—Personal life of the priest—Sexual behavior
It seems that there should be a clearer distinction made in the classification between consentual sexual behavior of priests and sexual abuse perpetrated by priests.
- Is this pattern seen elsewhere in LCC in the LC catalog? For example:
- HV5201.S48 (Sexual behavior of alcoholics). No resources classed here in the LC catalog that focus on sexual abuse
- HV8836 (Sex in prison, but also where LCSH Sexual behavior of prisoners is often classed). Lots of works here about sexual violence and rape
- F3429.3.S45 (South America—Peru—Antiquities. Indians—Topics (Ancient and modern), A-Z—Sexual behavior). There is a book titled “Amor y violencia sexual : valores indígenas en la sociedad colonial” under this class number, but otherwise nothing indicating sexual abuse
- Do works on Child sexual abuse by clergy belong in the BX range or elsewhere?